This is an annual competition run by the Waikato Photographic Society for its Members.
Entries must be received between the 8th – 18th August. No late entries taken after the 18th.
H Stanley James ARPS joined the Society shortly after its inception in 1937. His service to the Society and to photography in New Zealand, as exhibitor, lecturer, judge, and on committee were outstanding. He was President of the Society, an international exhibitor and had a great liking for and expertise in landscape photography.
Margaret Macdiarmid, who became a member in 1959, also contributed generously to the success and friendliness of the Society through exhibiting, lecturing, judging and on committee. She, too, served as President, exhibited internationally and had a great liking for and expertise in landscape photography.
1. The names of the competitions, which shall be open to all members of the society regardless of their grading, shall be the HS James Memorial Landscape Competition and the Margaret MacDiarmid Memorial Landscape Competition.
2. As the object of these competitions is to stimulate diversity of photographic interests and to foster
landscape photography in particular, an entry shall comprise three (3) colour or monochrome projected
images (Margaret Macdiarmid Memorial Landscape Competition) or three (3) colour or monochrome
prints (HS James Memorial Landscape Competition), portraying three diverse subjects, one, and only
one of which must be a landscape. No more than two (2) sets in each competition may be submitted by any one member.
3. Images entered into Waikato Photographic Society monthly competitions prior to the previous year’s
Memorial competitions, or entered into the previous year’s memorial competitions, shall not be eligible
for current entry. They need not have been entered in the current year’s monthly competitions, but they may be entered subsequently.
4. All images must have been exposed by the entrant. Prints may becommercially processed and may be of any dimensions but mounts must be no larger than exceed 40cm x 50cm (16” x 20”). Digital images must conform to the WPS specifications.
5. Judges shall be selected from the PSNZ Panel of Judges.
6. If, in the opinion of the judges, any image is not of sufficient merit, then that set shall be ruled out, as it is desired that a high standard be obtained throughout. Should the judge/s consider in either competition that no set qualifies for an award, then in the competition concerned no award shall be made in that year.